With the world reeling under the pandemic, people are again sitting back to reflect on how to build up their immunity. Having a strong immune system is a proven way to ward off the pandemic – the deadly COVID-19 virus. Health and wellbeing have assumed a lot of importance and are being considered by one and all.
The focus has also shifted on foods that help build up immunity and foods that have to be avoided as they lower a person’s immunity making them risk-prone to the COVID-19 virus and other infections.
So, what are the foods we must avoid if we have to keep our immunity intact and even build it up?
- Sugar – High on the list is this avoidable food item. This elevates the sugar level in our body and by this calorie intake, we adversely affect our body’s immune mechanism.
- Salt- Junk food or foods rich in salt, weaken the body’s immune system. The resistance to fight bacterial infections is also lowered. Excess salt leads to high glucocorticoid levels.
- Fried Foods – even these have the potential to harm your immune system. They can cause inflammation and cellular damage.
- Caffeine – This creates a disturbance in our sleep patterns, can result in inflammation response, and compromise our immunity.
- Alcohol – Weakens the immune system and makes us prone to sickness. However, some experts say that red wine and some other alcohol in moderation have a beneficial effect on our health.
While it may be very difficult to avoid all the above, since they comprise a major part of our diet, it is important to understand that even if they are consumed, they can be consumed in moderation. Care must be taken to avoid excessive consumption of any food.